Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Perception is Projection

Two days ago, something happened to me. Whether it was something good or something bad depended on one thing: the observer. In this case, was me.

I was on the Runyon Canyon Trail in Hollywood going for my run. I was sweaty, tired and exhausted. When I was most of the way through my path and I notice something that warrants concern: my keys were no longer with me.

Ever loose your keys? If you did, you know how awful that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach once you realize that this could change the plans of the entire day and maybe the following day as well (in this case, it did.)

I thought of retracing my steps for the past few miles. With my energy levels and the fact that the sun was setting made it clearly not possible. I had to ask other hikers/runners if they had come across any keys laying around. The first was a gentleman and he was so friendly and did everything within his means to help. He tried to figure out where I worked to drop it off in case he comes across it and for my facebook account to hit me up in case he finds it. He also recommended I ask all the other passers-by.

I start asking and I got the most helpful people try to help me out. One searched his backpack for a spare flashlight to give me, several offered their cell phones for me to call for help. One couple actually, went back to their home and got a flashlight and waited for me at the gate of the trail to hand it to me AND they wrote a note with their number and a request for the parking violations officer not to fine me since I was out searching for my keys (I'll post the note once I get it scanned)

To me, what happened was a beautiful thing. It made me realize the potential for human goodness towards a complete stranger. I don't know if that realization was something I needed at that point of my life to remind me of the capacity for human goodness. I was grateful it happened, even though I did inconvenience some people, including my bestie who had to drive up with the spare key for me to get home.

One of the thoughts that crossed my mind are the people who I know who would have cried to high heaven and rue that day for going so wrong. This even would've "ruined" their day and they'd have felt frustration and anger rather than the gratitude I felt when the experience was exactly the same. One may not have a choice over the cards they've been dealt, but they sure have a choice on how they will play that hand.

Think about the things in your life that you have given so much power that you allow it to ruin your day. Why not see the upside, whether it's the adversity that allows growth or the mistake that serves as a learning lesson? So, even if you don't have a choice on the external surroundings, you have the choice of your internal surroundings which can make this journey a pleasant one. Read the title of this article again and think about it. It's never about the world, it's how you perceive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment